Thursday, April 22, 2010

Ten minutes with Chef Mary


Chef Mary A. Moy-Hochstetler



-Pastry Chef for Izzy's Ice Cream Cafe St. Paul, Minnesota
 


Mary Ann, a Minnesota native, began her adventure with food at the age of 14, working in the kitchens of local restaurants. She attended Culinary School after high school and later accepted several Pastry Chef positions. At the same time, Mary began her career as a Sugar Artist. Now, a professional competitor at various events, notably the Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show and Ultimate Cake Off on TLC. Most recently, she was an adjunct instructor at OSU Institute of Technology Oklahoma in their culinary department. She later took on the position of Pastry Chef for D’Novo, LXI and The Grocer and the Gourmet Tulsa OK. Her cakes have been seen on Food Network and photographed for publication, including the February/March 2009 issue of Bride’s Magazine. Accolades include gold, silver, bronze and divisional placements. She has done two tutorials for American Cake decorating on tiered fondant cakes. You can read her newest column in Cake Central Magazine-Diary of a Pastry Chef!


Ten Minutes with Mary

What is your favorite cake flavor?

I actually do not eat that much cake which is no surprise! I am a sucker for chocolate cake though.....anything chocolate in all reality!! I always order dessert wherever I dine at.


If you had to pick one favorite cake tool, what would it be?

I have many favorite tools that are used all the time. My all time favorite is my Dewalt 18 volt drill. I use it all the time when building boards and such! They are bright yellow and match my bubbly personality! I wish they came in pink!

If you had to make a cake for anyone, who would it be?

I am looking forward to making my daughter's wedding cake someday. I have made every birthday cake with the exception of her ninth birthday. I was shooting Ultimate Cake Off  in Los Angeles and missed her birthday. I was more sad that I was not home than losing $10,000. She already has her birthday cake drawing for her birthday in July!

What was your worst cake disaster?

I have had only one real disaster in ten years. I deliver all my cakes assembled and I had a five tier square wedding cake in my SUV. I was lost for two hours in eighty degree heat when a car cut me off. I hit the breaks and saw the cake shift. Not in a good way.....The entire second tier cracked open. So, I loaded the cake on a cart and wheeled it into the freezer. It was iced in butter cream and was fixed by removing an entire tier of cake. The Bride did not notice, but the Mother of the Bride did according the venue. They never asked me about it.

What is your favorite cake moment?

I have so many cake moments. I am blessed to be a part of a couples most important day! The cake is the first thing people see and the last thing they eat. How could I not feel special? I usually get a call a year or two later for a baby shower cake! My favorite would be seeing my wedding cake on a full page for Brides Magazine. I was at the grocery store and about passed out!

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

I see myself hopefully doing what I love! I am a strong believer of following my heart. I was never made to sit in an office or be cooped up doing the same thing over and over! I love teaching! Maybe, retirement if I am lucky! But I would get bored :)

Where do you get inspiration?

I love a quote from Coco Chanel. It reminds me of cake "Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening."
I see and think in cake all the time!

What are the trends you are seeing?

The bigger the better! When I do cake, the Bride is usually trying to out do her best friend! My clients are very close friends of mine. They honestly just let me roll with whatever vision I have. It is a lot of pressure! Because of this, I do not see many trends. I think the Cricut will be hot in wedding cakes though.

Give us a funny story?

If you have ever met me, you will discover I am very modest. I was at the Oklahoma State Sugar Art show and this teenage girl came up to me. She has been following my work for years. Who knew! She started flapping her hands in the air and crying. I did not know what to do! I looked at her and said "will you knock that off!" She started laughing and I signed her autograph book. I am just a Pastry Chef!

Chef Mary A. Moy-Hochstetler



No comments:

Post a Comment